X-rays, or dental radiographs, may not be the most exciting part of your child’s visit here, but they are incredibly valuable in the oral health care of your child! They help us to:
- Diagnose dental decay
- Monitor tooth development
- Monitor the progression of dental therapy
- Determine the outcome of a dental injury
- Evaluate for orthodontic treatment
TYPES OF X-RAYS YOU CAN EXPECT AT BKD:
- Bitewing x-rays, or check-up x-rays, help us to identify and diagnose cavities. They are the most common type of dental radiographs, and they show us details about the upper and lower teeth in a single view. They are intraoral x-rays, which means that the x-ray film is inside the mouth. Bitewing x-rays are typically taken here at BKD about every year to year and a half.
- Panoramic x-rays show the entire mouth area, including both the upper and lower jaw, from ear to ear. Contrary to bitewing x-rays, whey are extraoral, meaning the x-ray film is outside the mouth. These x-rays show us the positioning of fully emerged teeth and reveal how and where emerging permanent teeth are coming in. They can also help us see any impacted teeth. Panoramic x-rays are taken less frequently. 7 years of age is a common time we may request a panoramic x-ray, so we can determine where your child’s permanent teeth are coming in.
Wondering if dental x-rays are safe for your child? Rest assured that the answer is yes! Dental x-ray tools and techniques are designed to limit the body’s exposure to radiation, and every precaution is taken to ensure that radiation exposure is As Low As Reasonable Achievable (the ALARA principle). Here at BKD, we use a leaded apron and thyroid collar to shield the abdomen and thyroid for safety. With our current precautions and procedures, the amount of radiation exposure in a dental x-ray examination is very minimal. The risk of a dental radiograph is a far smaller risk than the risk of an untreated and undiagnosed dental problem. Please know that the health and safety of your child is ALWAYS our top priority!
Just like each one of your kiddos, x-ray needs are unique! Here at BKD, the need for dental radiographs is customized depending on your child’s specific dental needs. Have more questions about dental x-rays? Never hesitate to ask!